5 SUN FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
1. One in Five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. Skin cancer doesn't just affect old people - melanoma is the second most common form of cancer for 15-29 year olds! And just 1 blistering sunburn during childhood or your teens doubles your risk of melanoma.
2. There are 3.5 million skin cancers diagnosed in the United States every year - this is more than all other cancers (like breast, lung and colon cancer) COMBINED. Yes, you read that correctly...more than ALL OTHER CANCERS COMBINED.
3. A tan is actually a sign of DNA damage from UV radiation which causes the skin to increase melanin production to (ineffectively) try to prevent further damage. You may think a tan looks good now but you'll be disappointed when you get older as all that tanning and sun damage will cause wrinkles, saggy skin, freckles, and age spots. Read more about how the skin works to protect your body in our article SKIN is your friend.
4. Up to 90% of the changes we think of when describing aging or old skin (wrinkles, freckles, brown spots, leathery skin) are really due to sun damage. And sun damage doesn't just happen in the summer...the sun is shining down on us every day, 365 days a year. If you want to slow down your skin's aging process, wear your sunscreen every day!
5. Zinc oxide is a natural mineral and is the ONLY SINGLE SUNSCREEN agent that effectively shields your skin from both UVA and UVB radiation. Zinc oxide is the only active ingredient used in PREP's SPF 30 face+body lotion as well as PREP's SPF 15 lip gloss.
Knowing these 5 sun facts and taking responsibility to wear your sunscreen every day, rain or shine, will not only keep your skin looking beautiful but may also help to save your life. Read all about UV rays and sunscreen in our article, UVA + UVB = Sun Rays.Send this article to a friend or loved one so they can know these 5 sun facts!